Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The temple visit

The day began at 4 30 in the morning with me at my brother’s place and having a nice nap when the alarm buzzes me up and the reminder tells me to get ready to drive with my parents to this temple called rajrappa which is around 60 kms from bokaro. My mom was supposed to wake us up and she calls me up at around 4 30 to get ready to leave at 6. But it was our bad luck that we both had gotten ready by then and were pissed off to get up so early after sleeping at 2 in the morning. Anyways mom and dad reached that place by 5 30 and our journey started. The cool breeze was so refreshing that I guess no air conditioner can ever equal the freshness and coolness of that air. My brother and I were sitting at the backseat and were chatting in hushed tones about our fun at college and suddenly laughing on seeing a few things outside. We reached the temple after an hour’s drive where I also had got the chance to drive for some portion on the highway.
Anyways the scene at the temple was like that of a festival even at 8 in the morning with a huge crowd going toward the temple with small goats being towed by them. The speciality of this temple is that animal sacrifice is offered at this place. We went in the queue and started waiting for our turn. While in the queue two guys ahead of us at a turning got so busy in looking over the parapet that they forgot that they were in a queue. My brother noticed the gap in the queue and hinted me that we should just simply go in front of them and thus reduce the waiting time. But by then the people started shouting over the two busy parapet guys to move and our plans were ruined. But the interest in the parapet had grown in all the people there just on seeing the devotion of the two guys towards it. We also saw what it was and for the first time in my life I saw a goat being slaughtered in front of me in the style of a sacrifice.
We moved ahead, went in the temple, did our prayers and then had to return through the place of the sacrifice. The whole path was bloody and I was jumping on the ground like a rabbit to just keep from stepping on blood.
This was the bloodiest temple visit of my life. Some people were shocked at the sight of the sacrifice, some adored it, some were awestruck and some were dumbstruck. I don’t know what happened to me but I surely felt like killing the people who were sacrificing goats.

No comments: